BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Drugstore Delights - L.A. Colors 5 Color Metallic Eyeshadows and L'Oreal HIP Metallic Shadow Duos

For the past three days or so, I've been on a drugstore kick and have dug out some old (and affordable) favorites. I don't usually buy drugstore items, so whenever I do, you know that the product is good!

(L'Oreal HIP Metallic Duo in Gunmetal, Paul and Joe Eye Gloss #01, [on top] L.A. Colors Tea Time, [on bottom] L.A. Colors Fabulous)

On Sunday and Monday, I wore two different L.A. Colors 5 Color Metallic Eyeshadow palettes. L.A. Colors is an incredibly underrated drugstore-priced makeup line similar to NYX (it's probably so underrated because it's hard as hell to find). I am particularly smitten with the 5 Color Metallic Eyeshadow palettes, which come in an astonishing range of colors (here's a link to them on Cherry Culture - look how cheap they are!). I own four of these palettes, and I am thrilled with each and every one. The finish of these eyeshadows is incredibly elegant; they are called "metallic", but I find them to be shimmery-iridescent. In fact, I used to call these "the poor woman's Dior quints" on Makeup Alley because they reminded me of the finish of a Dior Iridescent eyeshadow! Seriously, the pigmentation and lasting power of these shadows is high-end.

Sunday's L.A. Colors palette choice was Tea Time (#EP45). Tea Time is - if you want the Dior comparison -reminiscent of the Iridescent Leathers quint. The five (all shimmery) shades are: slightly gold-toned beige, golden-brown-taupe, coppery-gold, deep purple-taupe, and a deep reddish-brown. I wore the gold-toned beige all over my eyes, the golden-brown taupe on my lids, and the deep-purple taupe in the crease. The effect was easy, natural, but glowing.

Monday's L.A. Colors palette choice was Fabulous (#EP25). I was inspired by my lovie Amy over at The Beauty Chick, and her obsessive love of corals. I wanted a brightening coral eye, and this palette delivered. This palette has a pale yellow-gold, a soft coral, a red-plum-brown, a golden copper brown (similar to Clinique Lucky Penny), and a deep pink. This palette could have allowed for some adventure, but I went with a soft wash of the yellow-gold all over my eyes, the coral on the lids, and the golden copper brown in the crease. I paired it with a coral-gold lip and bronze cheeks: I looked so summery!


Today I went for something more dramatic - a smokey green eye with a gold shimmery brow. I used my Paul and Joe eye gloss #5 (expect a review of these on Pink Sith soon!) as a golden base; this eye gloss is a very pretty pale gold with a high shimmer. For my lids and crease (and to smoke out my black eyeliner), I used L'Oreal HIP Metallic Shadow Duo in Gunmetal; the name is totally inaccurate, as these are green colors - the left side is a pretty olive green, and the right is a forest green. I used the olive on my lids, and the forest green in the crease and to smudge my black eyeliner. The effect was sultry and smokey - my ladyboss loved it!


So, what are your thoughts?

6 love notes:

Recessionista! said...

OK, you totally made me want to dig out my LA Colors palettes! I haven't played around with mine in forever! And I TOTALLY agree with you about the quality of LA Colors products. Their other e/s palettes totally rock, as well as their nail colors. :)

Belle Du Jour said...

That paul and joe eyegloss looks to die for! I want to see MORE! x

Marley said...

DAMMIT JOEY. Every time I read your blog, I come away with more lemmings. Now I need both LA colors palettes, plus the Pop Look Dior duo. Can you just list everything I need to buy at once?

Joey said...

Recessionista, hi love! I have another L.A. Colors eye palette that isn't metallic and it's awesome as well!

Belle, hi gorgeous! I'm doing a post on them for Friday on Pink Sith =)

Marley, that would be a long, long list... =D

karigold said...

FYI... I've found the LA color palettes at Five Below... yes, I am probably the oldest person in the store but when bargains are to be found, age be damned! :)

mewmewmew said...

OK, you totally made me want to dig out my LA Colors palettes! I haven't played around with mine in forever! And I TOTALLY agree with you about the quality of LA Colors products. Their other e/s palettes totally rock, as well as their nail colors. :)


volvo parts car
round rock criminal attorney