BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer Breeze, makes me feel fine...

I love any excuse to break out into Seals and Crofts' "Summer Breeze", and today's eyeshadow choice is the perfect excuse for song! I'm wearing Urban Decay's latest palette, Summer of Love.

Summer of Love was a very generous gift from my second adopted mother, Cindy of Prime Beauty. She had reviewed it and decided that it wasn't the best palette for her, but she thought I'd love it. Mother knows best! I really adore this palette.


Summer of Love includes a mini Sin Primer Potion (not pictured, but it's nice enough), four eyeshadows (Flash, Maui Wowie, Chopper, and Smog), and a mini 24/7 liner in Bourbon (a warm, shimmery medium-to-deep bronze-brown). It retails for $29 and I think it's quite nice and worth the money ; I would have purchased it had it not been a gift.

The thing that I love about Urban Decay's eyeshadows are their pigmentation and blendability. The thing that I dislike about Urban Decay's eyeshadows are that the glitter shades have incredibly annoying fallout (meaning that the glitter falls all over your face). There are two glitter shades in this palette: Maui Wowie and Chopper. Maui Wowie is an incredibly gorgeous color: a cool-toned dirty gold, but I had never purchased it because of the glitter. Chopper is a bright and dirty peach color. The two non-glitter shades in this palette are equally gorgeous: Flash is a pretty blue-purple (but a little sheer, which I think makes it easier to use) and Smog is a truly divine bronze color. Honestly, Smog is a must-own eyeshadow color. Just sayin'!

(Smog, Flash, Maui Wowie, and Chopper - swatched over Pixie Epoxy)

Anyway, I am dealing with the glittery shades by using Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy as a base. Pixie Epoxy keeps the glitter on my lid, allowing for the beauty of Maui Wowie and Chopper to shine through, and I adore these two shades as lid colors (the glitter lays flat to create an intense, eye-opening look!). Today, I am wearing Chopper on the inner 2/3 of my lid with Smog in the outer 1/3, and blended into the crease. I lined my bottom lash line with a wide smudge of Flash, for some color and pop against my tanned skin. The effect is sexy, summery, and young. I love it!


(closed eye shot)

9 love notes:

Jeweled Thumb said...

I love the pop of purple on the lower lash line!!

Musing on Beauty said...

Gorgeous look! I love those shadows, I recently got Mauwi Wowie and I love it! (ok, enough exclamation marks, I need to go play with it)

Joey said...

Hey thanks ladies!

JT - I love the pop of purple too =) I have been on this insane purple kick lately!

MoB - Maui Wowie is seriously one of the most unique eyeshadow colors I have ever seen. I do wish they made it without glitter, though.

A said...

Thanks for the closed eye shot! I appreciate it :)

I've had my eye on Maui Wowie for a while. It just jumped to the top of my to-buy list (enabler). Gorgeous! Adele

Joey said...

Adele, as soon as my broke ass gets a better camera and no longer has to rely on my Macbook Pro, I will give you the prettiest eye shots ever!

Maui Wowie is gorgeous but you really need Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy or some sort of wet, sticky base with it. The color is fab, the glitter is not. Sometimes what I do is I just tap my eye shadow brush to knock off the glitter.

lexi920 said...

I love my UD shadows I just wish that the palettes featured new shadows. That's why I'm so happy Sephora/UD released exclusive summer shadows. I have most of these shadows featured in the summer of love palette. Yes, Maui Wowie is fantastic but the glitter not so much. I'll have to try it with my pixie epoxy. I resurrected many a NARS shadow with that - thanks for that tip! I recreated that Summer of Love look with UD's Smog on the lid and blended into the crease with MAC All That Glitters as my highlighter and UD Psychedelic Sister smudged along my lower lashline. I love this look on you!

lexi920 said...

I also wanted to add that my little sister always tries to find a reason to sing that Seals and Croft song too and if I could I would wear Smog everyday. Yes, it's a great 2mn eye look!

Musing on Beauty said...

hey, happy birthday Joeybunny! :)

Andee Layne said...

oh all those colors are gorgeous!! May have to snag this palette

www.andeelayne.blogspot.com