BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Estée Lauder DoubleWear Stay-In-Place ShadowCreme in Smoky Plum (Thanks Mom, for the eyeshadow!)

My mom tries really hard to understand my addictions. Somehow, the woman is all for indulging my penchant for gin, and usually completely against indulging my penchant for eyeshadows. Motherhood: my mom’s doing it hilariously backwards!
Anyway, my mom came for her bi-yearly jaunt to NYC a couple of weeks ago, and as always, we took a trip to Macy’s to pick me up some necessities (Bunny needed new flats!). Of course, I dragged the poor, tortured woman to the makeup and perfume counters. I can’t help myself, I can’t! You can’t tell me “Oh Josie, I’ll buy you whatever you want!” and expect me to not run straight to the cosmetics department.
It’s just not possible.

When in Macy’s, I always head straight to the Estée Lauder counter. Estée post-Tom Pecheux has seen such an amazing transformation. I’ve always been an Estée fan, and I’m even more of a fan now. I’m especially enamored with the DoubleWear Stay-In-Place ShadowCremes, and there were two colors in particular that I wanted to try out (Pink Pearl and Smoky Plum).
To make a long, already told (via Twitter) story short: I had a nightmare encounter with the Estée saleswoman who must have thought that I was an idiot teenager; she refused me testers and spoke to me as if I was mentally impaired. Infuriating to say the least! I ended up storming off, and my mother - bless her soul - somehow managed to purchase me Smoky Plum. I’m not sure how or why my mom put up with that woman, but I assume it has something to do with this whole “maternal love” thing. 
Sometimes, my mom really surprises me with her generosity. And oh - don’t worry, the next time I was with her, I decided to be a good daughter and get her a margarita the size of her head.
Now, for the review: Estée Lauder ShadowCremes are quite possibly my favorite cream eyeshadows. They look and feel suspiciously similar to MAC Paintpots, but I find that the color range of the Estée shadows is much nicer/more expansive, and that the actual products have a better feel and wear than Paintpots. If I could sum up the difference: Estée ShadowCremes seem formulated to be worn on their own, while MAC Paintpots seem formulated to be worn as bases.

(Aw snap, look at how perfect that color is!)
Smoky Plum is a gorgeous color, and I can see why my mom chose it for me despite not being able to test it.  It is a neutral-to-warm deep plum color, with a hint of a grey-brown undertone that allows it to straddle the line between plum and plum-taupe. So, of course you know I love this color! I love anything that even smacks of taupe. You could call radioactive sludge “Taupe” and I will rub it on my eyes. 

(I am drooling over my own hand swatch, yum.)
Yes, I have issues, but we all knew this.
Despite the excellent pigmentation of Smoky Plum, it can be worn sheerly (and when worn sheerly, it’s more taupey!). On the opposite end, I could layer this to my heart’s content, blending out the edges to make a...well, a smoky plum eye. Seriously, it’s a one step look! Oh, and it does make an excellent liner. I’m clearly enamored.
Estée Lauder DoubleWear ShadowCremes retail for, oh, $17.50 and are available wherever Estée Lauder is sold (which is pretty much everywhere). The ShadowCreme line was recently revamped (some colors were discontinued, some were introduced - Smoky Plum is a new color - and some are limited edition), and is worth checking out. 

20 love notes:

PerilouslyPale said...

Ahh how I love reading your reviews!
I've been interested in these for a while actually. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet!

lexi920 said...

Hey girl - was trying to find out what happened to you at the EL counter. I'm sure it wasn't good. What is it w/Macy's EL S.A.? The one I encountered here in SF was so over bearing that I almost walked away entirely but I really wanted that lipstick!

This is a really pretty cream shadow. You know how I love me a paint pot and if this delivers better than I really have to check it out! I also need that rose gold highlighter that Elvira reviewed.

Ugh you both are so evil!

Jamilla Camel said...

really pretty! I went to a Urban Decay counter not too long ago and the SA basically told me I was too old for their products!

Joey said...

Christa,

Try Cafe au Lait if you can still find it, or Antique Gold.

xoxox

Joey said...

Lexi, I have no idea. The woman treated me like I was an idiot teenager, enough said.

I'm sorry I'm evil! You do need to check out these shadows. The color and wear is much better than a MAC Paintpot, even though they look so identical.

xoxo

Joey said...

Jamilla! I hope you slapped that wench! You're not old at all, and definitely not too old for UD!

xoxoxo

Gaia, the non-blonde said...

I've been eyeing these lately, and of course this particular color has my name written all over it. I see an Estee splurge in my immediate future. Let's go shopping soon...

Joey said...

Gaia, you would love this one!

I will email you about shopping =D

xoxo

Staci - Makeup Chic Blog said...

This is a gorgeous counter. I'm definitely going to have to stop in my Macy's

Joey said...

Hello Staci! Please do - all of the colors are lovely =)

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said...

What a great color, Joey! Luckily, the SA's at my Macy's are better-behaved than at yours, although they don't seem to know what to do with me when I come up looking for all of the beautiful new products. It's one of those counters where I can walk up and inform them that they've got a new collection coming out soon and they know nothing about it, lol.

Because of their (sweet) ignorance about the newer products, I tend to stay away. However, you and your EL love have me thinking I need to try another store. Time to dive right in!

Joey said...

Shan, I cannot be the only person who finds it odd that the men and women who work these counters are so ill-informed or mis-informed.

Estée is worth exploring. Find a new store and check out the eyeshadows, both powder and cream!

xox

Ava said...

The pigmentation looks promising. How does it wear on a hot summer day?

Joey said...

Ava, I manage a hot yoga studio where the temperature is always around 90-100F with 80% humidity. I have worn this without primer for a 12 hr work day, and it was still there, albeit a tad bit faded, at the end of the day.

In other words, it wears really well!

Elvira said...

This is an awesome color! I bet it looks beautiful on you. :-)

Joey said...

*blushes* Thanks Elvira! It's really lovely on; less purply and a bit more taupey on my eyes than it appears in the swatch.

Which, of course, you know I love!

Red lips, Black hair said...

Wow, I LOVE it Josie!!

Joey said...

Sonia, I think you would like Mochachino! It's a pretty taupe from this line of cream eyeshadows =) xoxoxo

TENDERHEARTR said...

So pretty! Unfortunately (or fortunately from my wallet's point of view) the nearest Macy's is a good 45 minutes away. I love a good cream shadow that actually stays put and this color is beautiful!

Joey said...

Hello Tenderheartr! =)

*cough* the Estee website usually runs great promos and has a pretty low free shipping goal ($50 if I remember correctly). Not that I'm trying to tempt you...