BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Faking a plumper pout with NYX Pump It Up Lip Plumper!


NYX Pump It Up Lip Plumper is one of the newest lip offerings from NYX, one of my favorite “cheap thrills” makeup lines. This lip gloss + plumper is available in five shades (all named after Hollywood starlets), of which I received three:

Angelina - a frosty champagne nude
Scarlett - a sheer red (and let’s be honest - sheer red glosses are the jam!)
Lindsay - a frosty cool baby pink (I could actually picture Lindsay Lohan wearing this! It’s very reminiscent of those cool, pale lip colors she is so fond of.)
(Angelina, Scarlett, and Lindsay)

If you’re at all familiar with DuWop Lip Venom, these glosses give a similar sensation on the lips, so I’m guessing cinnamon oil is the main plumping ingredient in them. So, a warning: if your lips are sensitive, the tingle may feel more like a burn to you. You can even taste a bit of cinnamon in the glosses. I, for one, don’t mind tingling sensations (get your minds out of the gutter, people!), and I liked feeling as if these glosses were working.
The tingle was more evident with the Scarlett gloss than with the Lindsay and Angelina glosses, as was the actual physical plumping effect. I wonder if the amount of shimmer in the latter glosses blocked some of the effect of the cinnamon oil, because not only was the tingle less evident but so was the plumping effect (although the sheer amount of shimmer in these two lends a visual plumping effect). 
Scarlett was my favorite of the three shades since it was both shimmer free and really gave my lips a plush look. Sheer red gloss is such a true makeup essential - it lends the face a sexy, perfectly polished look - and this is a great one. I’ll need another tube once it runs out. Scarlett has become my “go-to” lip color, especially on days when I'm in a rush and can't decide what lip color to wear. Scarlett just goes with everything.
Lindsay and Angelina are more of an “effect” sort of gloss: a bit hard to wear alone on the lips (Lindsay more so for me, because of how cool-toned it is - alone on the lips, it clashes with my skin tone), but they add an element of fun to whatever lip color they’re layered over. I personally like Angelina alone with a really dark smokey eye; I’m just careful to not over apply it. Lindsay has been put to good use over all of the hot and bright pink lipsticks I own, as a way to tone down the color intensity without sacrificing the punchy effect. 
Can I recommend these? Well sure! They’re cheap, effective, and fun. I’m really fond of Scarlett, especially, and I want to try Pamela (which is a shimmer-free pink). Check them out! They retail for $6USD on the NYX website (nyxcosmetics.com), and can be found wherever NYX is sold (like Cherry Culture!). 

4 love notes:

Suzanne said...

awesome post! I'd also recommend www.nonpareilboutique.com for NYX? (I'm not a bot! serious!)They're good for Elf and Milani too :)

Joey said...

Suzanne, thanks for both the comment and the website recommendation! I've never shopped at Nonpareil before but I've heard about it =)

lexi920 said...

Cool, something for me to look forward to the next time I'm at Ulta.

Joey said...

Hi Lexi!

GET SCARLETT.

xoxo