BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Gotham by Tallulah Jane Naturals

At the time that this review will be published by Blogger, I will be on my way back to New York City after spending two weeks at my parents’ home in Central Florida. 
This is the longest I’ve been away from Manhattan in more than five years, and I’ve missed my city so much (and my bed, and my makeup and perfume, and my friends, and my boyfriend!). As nice and lazy as it was to be in Florida, being cared for by my parents, I am just not suited for this place. 
I need to be running down the streets of the Lower East Side, dizzy drunk and dancing in the middle of the night. I need to be listening to good jazz in the West Village with my boyfriend, and perusing the beauty counters at Bergdorf Goodman with my girlfriends. 
I needed to go home. Gotham was calling me. 

Gotham always calls me.

During the first semester of my freshman year of college, I read an essay by AndrĂ© Aciman called “Shadow Cities”, a stunning piece on exile whose focal point is a park that happens to be located in my current neighborhood. This essay irrevocably changed my life - and my viewpoint of Manhattan. Manhattan will now forever be my beautiful City of Shadows, where I can always find somewhere to hide, where it is always 3am,  where the shimmering duskiness of the magic hour is always more stunning than the daylight rays. 

(picture borrowed from the C.O. Bigelow website)
Gotham by Tallulah Jane (EDP formula) has managed to perfectly capture for me the shadows of Manhattan. The deep sexiness of the rose and patchouli that perfumer Eleanor Jane used is the perfect accompaniment to my uniform of all black and heels to kill. It is as “New York” as New York can be: bold, sexy, dark, and fleeting. 
(An aside: Tallulah Jane products are all-natural and cruelty -free, vegan and Leaping Bunny certified. I am impressed at the efforts undertaken by Eleanor to ethically create such lovely perfumed creations. Hers was a line that I had often seen at C.O. Bigelow in the West Village, but had never had a chance to try. I am grateful that she sent me some samples to play with, so stay tuned for future reviews!)
The first spray of Gotham is delicious spice and Moroccan rose: I am enveloped in an opaque curtain of cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon; in other words, a lovely allspice. The rose itself, at this point, is still a bud but it blooms widely as the scent develops on my skin. This rose smells incredibly red and realistic (there is a leafiness that I will credit to the violet leaf note also present in the middle notes). It is a carnal scent that is somewhat tempered by the green earthiness of a lovely patchouli. The patchouli used in Gotham is a bit funky, somewhat musky, and smacks wonderfully of wet earth - I adore it. As the rose petals fall away, Gotham becomes a predominantly patchouli scent, accented by a nice vetiver - oh, I love vetiver! - and myrrh. It is heady and deep without being nauseating; this is not a hippie-esque patchouli. Wearing it, I feel as indestructible as I do when I’m full of too much gin and confidence. 
Of course, because Gotham is a natural perfume, its longevity is limited. Its fleeting lifespan is made up for by decent sillage and its overwhelming cimmerian beauty. I do not mind having to respray myself with it. 

Tallulah Jane’s Gotham has quickly become a favorite fragrance of mine. Not only am I a sucker for a rose-patchouli scent, but there is something about the composition of this fragrance - the sharp, inky contrast between the spicy patchouli and beautiful rose - that truly reminds me of Manhattan, of myself, and of my relation to the city in which I live. I am composed of the same shadows and skyscrapers in which I live and breathe, and Gotham functions as a wonderful sensory reminder of that. 
I will be purchasing a bottle when this one runs out. Oh, and I’ll buy the accompanying body oil as well.
Tallulah Jane Naturals can be found on the Tallulah Jane website, at Spirit Beauty Lounge, and at C.O. Bigelow (the website and the store). My bottle of Gotham EDP was a generous press sample, but it normally retails for $48USD.

12 love notes:

PerilouslyPale said...

Ooohhhh this sounds right up my alley! I can wear it and imagine I'm stumbling through the streets of New York with you. ;-)

Joey said...

Christa, it's a gorgeous fragrance.

I do wish you were in NYC with me, though =) xoxo

VijiiS said...

Rose patchouli always calls to me too--I think I'll have to check this out.

And I so know what you mean about being away from NYC. Whenever I go away, it always takes me all of two days to miss it. I don't think I could function without my daily dose of Big Apple.

Joey said...

Vijaya, you definitely need to check it out! Go to Bigelow in the West Village!! =)

I'm never leaving Manhattan for such a long period of time ever again. It was torture =(

Alyssa said...

This review made me go get my sample. Gotham is my favorite of the TJ naturals I get a lot of rose and spiciness with a smoothness I am guess is the Bloomsbury, I smell juniper though. Great review!

Joey said...

Alyssa, I will have to sniff this again: I didn't get any juniper! I love juniper!

Gotham is my favorite of all the TJ naturals, but Tallulah is a very close second. I still haven't tried Yiska (the masculine) yet.

Sharryn Stormonth said...

I have a fascination with New York, and quote some of your doings at dinner parties :) Ah ! the food.. I have a large photo of the Chrysler Building in my office and everthing and everyone must stop if I hear Alicia Keys - Empire State of Mind... I must get there one day. My boss is heading ironically to Florida and then New York in Feb, have suggested he may need me over there...

Joey said...

Sharryn, you must come! I will show you around =D xoxoxoxo

Rola said...

I love natural perfumes and have been curious about this line. Thanks for the post:)

Joey said...

Rola, you're very welcome! I highly recommend Tallulah Jane.

Daly Beauty said...

Wow- I want to be dancing in the middle of the night too! What a terrific post :)

Joey said...

Thank you, Jane! Come for a visit, and we can dance together! xoxoxo