BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, September 30, 2011

Oh hey, I'm back - and with some of the new MAC Paintpots!

Hi everyone! Oh look, I haven’t actually fallen off the face of the planet. 
I’m terribly sorry for neglecting my blog. Between traveling in and out of NYC constantly since my return from Florida combined with some personal issues that have really taken a toll on me, I just have not been in the mood to blog. When things get heavy, it’s easy for me to forget to look to the smallest things for some joy and comfort - like my blog!
Well anyway, if there’s any brightness to this post, it’s that I’ve acquired a ton of lovely goodies since getting back from Florida that I hope to share with you all!
Today, I’m going to focus on - oh forgive me! - some of the new MAC Paintpots

(Clockwise from top L: Imaginary, Idyllic, and Genuine Treasure)
Yes, MAC, I have fallen for you yet again! I can’t even remember what the name of the collection is that featured these Paintpots (Posh something?), and I can’t even tell you all if these eyeshadows are still available. Knowing MAC, they’re all already sold out. Sigh! ‘Tis the nature of any MAC release, I suppose.
I chose three gorgeous shades. I am a true sucker for a cream eyeshadow; can you blame me? Paintpots function as bases, eyeliners, and eyeshadows. They’re relatively inexpensive at $17.50USD per shadow, and the jars are large. I was excited to see that there were some colorful shades available. If I have one complaint about MAC Paintpots, it would be that the range of shades is somewhat limited and altogether too natural. 
On to the colors! Like I said, I chose three: Genuine Treasure, Imaginary, and Idyllic.

(From L to R: Idyllic, Imaginary, and Genuine Treasure)

None of my color choices should surprise you. I am sadly predictable! Before I describe each color, let me give you a general rundown of the products: these Paintpots are richly pigmented but capable of being sheered out, they last over 10+ hours without a primer underneath (so just product on bare Bunny lids), and they don’t crease, run, or smudge. If you have never tried a Paintpot, I highly recommend giving one a shot (if these newest ones are already sold out, my recommendation is for Indianwood in the permanent line). 
Genuine Treasure is my favorite of the three I chose


It is a gorgeous glittery brown-taupe. I thought I would experience some issues with application and pigmentation due to the glitter, but I didn’t. Genuine Treasure can be sheered out to be a sort of glitter topcoat, but can be applied opaquely so that the gorgeous taupiness shines through. My swatch is one heavy fingerstroke over the product. The first time I wore Genuine Treasure, I used it on my lids with Edward Bess Intimate eyeshadow in my crease. I had a look that was polished, sexy, but a bit playful. Perfect!
Imaginary was a color I just had to have. I’ve been on a real blurple (blue + purple) kick lately and Imaginary fit the bill. 


This color is very pigmented and deep, and I have a feeling that most wearers will use it as an eyeliner. I slapped it all over my eyes and called it a day! It made for a nice colorful smokey eye. 
Idyllic was a color I almost regretted purchasing. 


I cannot resist a red-toned eyeshadow (I am a bunny after all, and I need to have rabbit eyes! Haha!), but there is already a color similar to it in the permanent line: Artifact, which I already own.

(Artifact on the left, Idyllic on the right)

Still, I have a sick addiction and I can never have enough red eyeshadows. Luckily, I found Idyllic and Artifact different enough for me to justify having (although I don’t think this would be true of most others). Idyllic is browner and more wearable than Artifact, which is much redder and metallic. Idyllic has made a lovely base for some of my redder-toned brown eyeshadows, and has worked well as an eyeliner. 

(Imaginary, Idyllic, and Artifact - you can see how much redder Artifact is than Idyllic!)

So, did you cave on any of the new Paintpots? Let me know! 

20 love notes:

matildaben said...

I got Idyllic, as well as the purple one (Half-Wild I think?) and the nude rose one (Nubile). I'm wearing Nubile today with Satin Taupe in the crease - a nice subtle look.

Ruthy said...

Oooh, you have made me crave artifact - it looks more my style than the new release. Thanks for the post x

Joey said...

Matildaben, I was thinking about getting Half-Wild. How bright is it? Nubile looks pretty too but I don't think it would show up on me =(

Joey said...

Ruthy, Artifact is gorgeous! I hope you enjoy it, and thank you for reading!

Jen W said...

I have Artifact and love it. Idyllic looks amazing- do you think it could be a dupe for Chanel Epatant Illusion D'ombre?

Joey said...

Jen, if I can be perfectly honest, I am not a Chanel fan and ignored the Illusion D'ombre shadows. From what I can recall from pictures, the colors are pretty similar: a reddish brown. Sorry I can't be of more help!

matildaben said...

Half-wild is more deep than bright, but it builds up nicely and layers with everything well. Nubile is gently blushy on me and I'm about a NC20-25.

Joey said...

Hm. I'm going to have to check out Nubile again, then! Thanks love! =)

Y said...

cute! Genuine treasure is also my favorite

Joey said...

Thanks Y! =D How are you wearing Genuine Treasure?

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

I'm predictable too but in an "old" way and stuck with Nubile. I like the texture of these new ones a lot. They seem softer and easier to apply.

Joey said...

Marcia, y'know...you might be on to something with the texture thing. I was using a few of my older ones the other day and I did notice that in comparison to the newer ones, they are a bit firmer (especially the matte ones).

Makeup Magpie said...

I only picked up Genuine Treasure, but your swatches are tempting me to get Idyllic - it looks beautiful! :)

Joey said...

Makeup Magpie, Idyllic is gorgeous if you do lots of brown looks. I'm thinking of using it today, layered under Edward Bess Mystery eyeshadow =)

The Lacquered Lady said...

Interesting that these are very similar to the colors from the new bareEssentuals pressed eye shadow kit in Earth, Air, and Fire (I'm pretty sure that is the name). Love the combo.

Joey said...

The Lacquered Lady, oh how interesting! I just looked up the quad you mentioned, and you're right: the color combination is similar. I'll have to try pairing them all together, now. I wonder how that'll work!

Nar said...

Artifact, like most of the amazing but unique things MAC has made, is DC'd. I bought Idyllic because it reminds me of it, but it isn't really red enough. :(

Joey said...

Nar, thank you for this! I am so out of the loop with MAC. I can't believe they DCed Artifact. ARGH! =(

Nar said...

They DC'd Delft, too. Everything that wasn't neutral.

Joey said...

What?! Delft too?! GRRR.