BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It's Getting Chilly Outside! Be Cool with Alima Pure's Holiday 2011 Collection (Part 1)

I know that Halloween hasn’t even arrived yet, but that isn’t stopping me from looking towards the Holidays...as in, the Holiday collections that our favorite brands are bringing out! Yeah for new makeup collections!


Today I bring you Part One of my reviews on the Alima Pure Holiday 2011 Limited Edition Collections. Alima, who always brings out the loveliest seasonal kits (see my Fall Runway Collection review here), really outdid themselves for the holidays by releasing two absolutely stunning kits. 
Each kit retails for $36USD and contains three full-sized eye shadows and a full-sized blush or shimmer powder (as you’ll see, one kit has a blush, the other has a shimmer powder). The best part about the kits - other than their stunning quality and gorgeous colors - is that $2 from the sale of each kit will be donated to the Global Fund for Women. So, not only do you get to look good by buying these kits, but you get to do good as well!
The two Holiday kits are themed by color-tone: there’s Cold Outside (the cooler kit, obviously) and Warm Inside (the warmer kit). I am focusing today on Cold Outside, which was my favorite of the two!

(with flash)

(without flash)

(Snowdrift, Snow Angel, and Jack Frost e/s; Rosy Cheeks blush on bottom)
Snowdrift eye shadow, which Alima describes as “an off-white shimmer with a hint of silvery blue”: This is a lovely sheer-ish true silver shimmer on me, whose intensity can be easily built up either with layering or by applying the shadow wet. It reminds me of a soda can sort of silver, but not as chrome-y - just, that’s the sort of pure silver the color is. The color surprisingly doesn’t lean blue on my skin, as many silvers tend to. This shadow is very shimmery, but not glittery. 
Snow Angel eye shadow, which Alima describes as “a light-to-medium blue with silver sparkle”: OH MY! What a beautiful, beautiful blue! Jewel-toned, crystal clear, bling-y blue! It reminds me of Fyrinnae’s 1.22 Gigawatts, which is more electric but definitely the same tone of blue. I always think jewel-tones when I think of the Holiday season, but jewel-toned blue is not a typical color. I really appreciate that Alima thought outside of the box for this collection. As bright as this color is, and as pigmented as it is, it can be applied sheerly for a smaller dose of color. 
Jack Frost eye shadow, which Alima describes as “a deep blue-toned purple shimmer”: This is absolutely, hands-down, one of the most stunning purples I have ever seen. Now this is a gorgeous holiday shadow: regal, bejeweled, and just...I want it all over my face. It’s really just the purple of my dreams.
Rosy Cheeks blush, which Alima describes as “a gorgeous just-in-from-the-cold matte pink blush”: Now, if I was lighter-skinned, this might be a “Oh, I was just in the snow!” sort of color, but I’m not and it isn’t. Instead, this is a neutral sandy pink on my skin; lovely for sure, but I do have to layer it to get some impact. I don’t mind, though. With eyeshadows this bright, cheek color shouldn’t be so obvious.

Now, the face chart that comes with the kit (crappy picture above, sorry!) gives directions for a look that I can’t quite pull off: Snowdrift would absolutely not look good as a highlight color on my olive-tan skin. So, I modified the look. What do you think? 

I used Snow Angel on the inner two thirds of my lid, and Jack Frost in the outer third and the crease. A matte pink cream shadow from Lancome acted as a highlight, and I used a black Bourjois liquid eyeliner. 

I wet Snowdrift and used it to line my bottom lashes, and then set it with more Snowdrift (used dry). Filled in brows, a healthy dose of Rosy Cheeks blush, and some pink Chanel gloss completed my look! 


Will you be picking up Cold Inside? =)

8 love notes:

Jen Mathews said...

Oh wow - that looks really nice on you! I also love that Alima Pure is Leaping Bunny certified (cruelty free)! :) I also love that the captcha below is making me type "moopical." :p

PerilouslyPale said...

You look GORGEOUS!! That is an amazing eye look you did. OK now I want to see Jack Frost "all over your face"! LOL

heather_artiste said...

So pretty! I am looking forward to finally trying Alima Pure!

Joey said...

Jen, my fellow bunny! Hi love! Thank you so much for the compliment. Yay for Leaping Bunny-certified pretties =) and "moopical" is just awesome.

Joey said...

Christa, thank you love! I felt like being creative with my makeup.

Joey said...

Heather, Alima ROCKS!

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said...

I'm such a fan of Alima (and mineral shadows in general), and these collections both look amazing. As usual, you look fabulous (you are truly the queen of eyeliner, miss Josie)!

Hope you are doing well, sweet girl! I've been AWOL lately and missing all my blogging friends!

Shannon

Joey said...

Hi Shan! I'm featuring the warmer set either tomorrow or Tuesday =)

Thank you so much for the compliments! I have missed you very much xoxoxo