BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Joey's Thursday Thoughts


1) The Fall 2011 Bergdorf Goodman Beauty catalogue is an exercise in excellent photography. Somehow, it made the Prada Candy bottle look stunning - it was probably helped by, on the adjacent page, a gorgeous spread of the Shiseido cream eyeshadows. I need to give these eyeshadows a second look: the few I tried, I did not enjoy (the pink and purple shades). Has anyone purchased any of the Shiseido cream eyeshadows?
2) Lately, I have been all about finding the perfect peachy-pinky-champagne eyeshadow. I mean, you have no idea how many I’ve bought lately; I’m ashamed to take pictures, lest you all get an idea of how insane I am. However, I think I found my perfect color: Shiro Cosmetics’ [Subject Name Here], from the Science Collection (eyeshadow shades inspired by Portal, one of the best video games EVER). [Subject Name Here] is a gorgeous, luminous peachy-pinky-champagne that just lights up my eyes with minimal effort, but gives a maximum impact. 


Perfect, perfect. Shiro Cosmetics is one of the best Indie lines around - the quality of the eyeshadows is top-notch, as is the customer service. Caitlin, the sweet owner of the line, recommended this color to me when I asked her for help. I paid $3 for this generously sized mini eyeshadow. She sells sample baggies for $1, and the 5g full-sized shadows are $5. I will be bringing you some Shiro swatches next week, because Caitlin just came out with a new TAUPE!

*PS - Please, please: Support Indie!
3) I have been taking a trip down Makeup Memory Lane, and yesterday I picked out my Chanel Glossimer Extreme in Darling. The Glossimer Extreme shades were from Spring 2006. Darling is a beautiful, extremely metallic rosy-brown shade with decidedly mauve tones. It is a bizarre and beautiful color when on the lips. 


I have a decently extensive Glossimer collection, but Darling was the first Glossimer I ever bought myself. I remember it very well: my freshman year at NYU, a girlfriend and I decided to spend a lovely sunny Saturday in Soho, browsing the boutiques. We drank champagne and flirted at Louis Vuitton, giggled inside Kiki de Montparnasse, and then went to Chanel so that my friend could pick out a wallet for her mother. There, I gravitated towards the Glossimers. The lovely saleswoman picked out Darling for me, and it was instant love. I believe I still have the little Chanel shopping bag the Glossimer was placed in. I felt so glamorous. Every girl needs a little luxury in her life, and I am happy to have this lip gloss to remind me of that.

4) Speaking of little luxuries, on Tuesday I went to the Sephora Sensorium with @alyssaharad, a fellow ‘fumehead and all-around kickass date. We were both surprised at how interesting, entertaining, and well-thought out the Sensorium was. Firmenich + Sephora did a fantastic job, and it was well worth the $15 fee (which you get returned in the form of a Sephora gift card). 

(Here's me posing in the jumbo Polaroid-ish frame!)

The funniest part, for me, was at the end where you get to ‘blind sniff’ perfumes; I fell head over heels for this one scent: sexy, amber, powdery, musky, gourmand-y. It was heaven. I asked an employee to reveal the identity of the scent to me, and I was floored to discover it was Kate Walsh Boyfriend! A celeb perfume! Alyssa could not stop laughing at my horror. I hate to admit it, but I went to Sephora yesterday to try it on, and it is really just a delicious fragrance, extremely similar to Prada Candy but less expensive. My $15 gift card will be going towards the $20 perfume oil rollerball

Do you have any Thursday thoughts to share with me? 

8 love notes:

Nicholas said...

LOL @ your celebrity fragrance pick.

Michelle for Primal Mist perfumes said...

I literally laughed out loud at your horror over loving a celeb fragrance!

Those folks over at Sephora hit on a golden marketing idea with Sensorium. Kudos for creativity, and for rolling the $15 ticket cost into a gift card at the end. It'll cost them some money, but they'll make new fans with that blind perfume sniff at the end!

Any idea on what the numbers have been? Was it crowded when you went?

~Michelle for Primal Mist perfumes

PerilouslyPale said...

Love your pic from the Sensorium! It is OK to like a celeb scent!! Now I'm dying to try it! LOL

Undina said...

Sometimes I wish I could make some reviewers to blind test perfumes - to judge them on their own merits, not by the brand or perfumer.

Having said that, I think I would have been too snoberrish to like any of the perfumes in Sephora's blind test: not because they do not carry any good perfumes but because I know and, most likely, would recognize those "better" ones and the rest I would have dismissed just because it's Sephora.

Joey said...

Nickypoo, don't laugh!

Joey said...

Michelle, I completely agree: the Sensorium is a brilliant idea, and having the ticket fee be returned to the buyer in the form of a gift card is a surefire way for Sephora to see profits from the exhibition.

When Alyssa and I went, we bumped into a lovely Firmenich employee who offered to answer any questions or give us a second tour. I need to contact her for the answers to your numbers question. It wasn't terribly crowded when we went, though.

Joey said...

Christa, thank you! Alyssa took a great pic of me.

I'm not too happy with myself about liking a celeb scent. I actually DID go and buy the rollerball of Boyfriend today, because admittedly, I needed it. It is just delicious. It begs an answer to a question that I have to ask myself now: does the name on the juice really matter?

Hm.

Joey said...

Undina, the blind test really bugged me out! I really was shocked that I enjoyed Boyfriend so much.

The only other scent I liked was one I recognized: Donna Karan's Cashmere Mist. All of the others that I smelled were absolutely vile.

I thought I was too snobby for a celeb juice, but I went and bought Boyfriend today. It smells almost exactly like Prada Candy but is more affordable: something important since I am so tight with money right now. Funnily enough, I'm getting some support regarding the love of Boyfriend from some 'fume bloggers. Who knew? I think I have to do a post about this.