BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 28, 2011

Joey's Monday Musings

Happy Post-Thanksgiving and Black Friday Weekend, everyone!
I am so worn out from what was just a very, very lovely weekend (minus the excruciating migraine that struck me down Sunday AM); because of my exhaustion, I can’t offer you a full-on review of anything today. My nose is just as worn out as my body.

However, I thought it would be fun to do a “Monday Musings” post, full of random thoughts and reflections on the things I tested and saw this weekend. So, if you’re interested, read on! 
I promise that I have lots of fun reviews coming up. I just need to get used to my new schedule: I work much, much earlier hours at my new job than I did at the yoga studio (and I also don’t have computer access at my new job), so the times at which I blog and swatch and whatnot have to be adjusted. Well, my whole routine needs to be adjusted! Wish me luck.
1) Thanksgiving weekend brought me a lot of blessings in the form of blogger visits to NYC! I spent Friday afternoon and evening with Xiao of Messy Wands, and I spent a lovely Saturday AM with Birgit of Olfactoria's Travels. I’ve met Xiao before, and it was a treat to see her again. She needs to move to NYC already. Birgit was as gorgeous and sweet as she appears on her blog, and she is so knowledgeable about fragrances! I was so pleased that she enjoyed my little tour of the fragrance counters of Fifth Avenue.
2) Can I say how glad I am that Bobbi Brown re-released Black Pearl Shimmer lipgloss? It’s the most bizarre and stunning mix of grey, purple, and mauve; when it was first released in  the summer of 2007, I went to work late just so I can stop at Bloomingdales Soho and buy it right away! I kind of forced Xiao to buy it on Friday. I can't wait to see her review.
3) There is nothing better than a good sales associate. If you are ever in the need for anything from Guerlain (makeup, perfume, skincare, advice, etc.), please look up Peggy at Bergdorf Goodman! She is a real gem, and her enthusiasm and generosity was a lovely surprise to both me and Birgit.
4) For the first time, I found a current formulation of a fragrance to be preferable over the vintage formulation. I was shocked. The fragrance?: JAR Golconda. Oh JAR fragrances, you’re so divine and so upsettingly expensive. The vintage formulation was a bit too green for my tastes - like Aftelier Haute Claire but without the delicious nuance of that fragrance. The current formulation was all spicy, divine carnation and clove. I could not stop sniffing myself!
5) Birgit and I tested quite a few fragrances while we were together. Here are some thoughts on some of the ones I remember trying:
  • Guerlain Iris Ganache: I purchased a small decant today from a fragrance friend, if that shows you what I thought. I blame Carrie for this, as I blame her for most things ;)
  • Guerlain Jicky parfum: WHOA BABY. WHOA WHOA WHOA. The EDT has nothing on the parfum.
  • By Kilian Sweet Redemption: Bleh, I’m surprised how much I disliked this fragrance. I’m an orange blossom fan, but there was something upsettingly plasticky about this.
  • By Kilian Love & Tears (solid perfume): The stunning compact drew me in, and the actual perfume kept me there. Oh, just pretty, soft and feminine!
  • Creed Royal Oud: Not terribly royal, but lovelier than I expected. I have found that Creed’s male-oriented fragrances are much, much nicer than their feminine counterparts. This one is no exception. 
  • Chanel Jersey: My Downy smells better than this stuff, and lasts longer to boot. What the hell, Chanel!? 
  • Dior Patchouli ImpĂ©rial: The more ambered, masculine version of Chanel Coromandel; I think I need this, sigh.
  • Cartier L'Heure ConvoitĂ©e II: Yum yum yum! I need to get a sample of this to give it a second run, but I quite enjoyed it when Birgit and I sniffed it at Saks.
  • Serge Lutens Vitriol d'Oeille: Well, I also bought a small decant of this today if that gives you any hints to what I thought about it.

6) Can I repeat how glad I am that I did not go to Target or do any sort of in-store Black Friday shopping? I did do a few Indie orders: I ordered from Shiro Cosmetics, Persephone Minerals, and used an Apothica gift card to order a couple of treats for myself. I am saving everything as Christmas presents to myself! Remember, SHOP INDIE! What did you all end up buying? 
Please, share your thoughts/musings/rambles with me! Have a lovely Monday!

6 love notes:

olfactoriastravels.com said...

Joey - it was so lovely meeting you, I had a great time! I only wish I had never "set nose" on JAR perfumes! ;)
I love Jicky extrait, and in my mind it is now forever connected with you and NYC. xoxo

anotherperfumeblog.com said...

What a great batch of smelling you did! I'm glad you got to test some new things.

I didn't do any perfume shopping or testing over the weekend, but did my part to support local businesses while eating and shopping with friends. The perfect combination, I agree!

Joey said...

Olfactoria, it was so wonderful to meet you! I'm sorry that I created a lemming by taking you to JAR =) but I just had to! xoxoxoxoxo come back soon!

Joey said...

Nat, I'm so happy I got to test so many new things with Birgit. You did well by eating and shopping with friends! I hope to do some of that this week as well xoxo

Undina said...

It all sounded like a lot of fun. I envy you a little :)

I completely boycotted Black Friday and almost missed Cyber Monday (I ordered some photo prints and cards since the discount was good and I planned to do it anyway and bought an excercise video to work off the Thanksgiving dinner). But today I bought some decants (I wonder if we shopped at the same place ;) ). And before the month is over I plan to buy more perfumes.

Joey said...

Undina, I just received a decant order today! Ha! =)