BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Reflections!

As I post this tonight, I wanted to take the time to reflect back on today - Thanksgiving, or as I like to call it, Turkey Massacre Day. 
I have had a lot of terrible luck lately. Any of you who read this blog, or follow me on Twitter (or are friends with me on Facebook!) know this. For the first time in my life, I spent Thanksgiving alone. The thought of it was actually worse than the reality of it. Being alone today has allowed me to realize that, despite my depression and despite the bad luck streak I’ve been facing, I have so much to be thankful for. 
If you don’t mind, I’d like to list just a few of the things I have to be thankful for. Please feel free to share your lists with me, and remember to GOBBLE HAPPY
**The “Gobble Happy” comes from a text message from Momma Bunny, her first ever! I was so proud of her and her enthusiasm for finally embracing technology.
I am thankful that I am alive, sane enough to function on a day-to-day basis, and in relatively good health. I am also thankful that my senses are all in working order, I can walk without pain, use my hands without pain, and breathe deeply every day. 
I am thankful for my new job in a time when many people are unemployed. I am especially thankful that I quite enjoy my new job, that it has steady (and full-time) hours and decent pay, and that there is room for growth in said job. Also, it is beauty-related and I have a sweet discount! 
I am thankful that I have a space online to call my own, where I can write about what I want and that people actually care to read it! I am also unbelievably thankful for the friendships and connections that I have made through blogging. I honestly would not be able to wake up and face each day without the love and companionship you all give me, and I truly hope I give the same to you. Honestly, I owe you all more than I can say.
I am thankful for perfume, and for the color taupe.
I am so thankful for bacon, alcohol, butter, carbs, whoever first discovered the possibilities that deep-frying brings to food, and water.


(Thank god for St. Ides and cheap beer - and the friends who drink it with me!)

(Buffalo wings, fries, and deep-fried pickles!)
I am thankful to have a roof over my head, an excellent college education, and an incredible head of hair. 


(Me, the day I graduated with honors from NYU's Gallatin School)


(Yeahhh, I love my curls!)
I am thankful that I haven’t broken a bone in a decade...I think. Nope, lied. Fractured my  left thumb back in 2007. Scratch this one!
I am thankful for independently-run businesses and the amazing, passionate people that run them. Shop Indie, Shop Indie, SHOP INDIE.
I am thankful for my parents, despite our very rocky relationship. I am thankful for my closest friends, whether they be near or far; I love you all more than words can express. I am thankful for my ex-boyfriend, because without him a lot - ok, most!- of this past year would not have been possible (and I thank him also for forcing a painful but necessary learning experience on me). Everyone who has come into my life - whether for a short time or for the long haul - has helped me to become the insane bunny I am today. 
Have I mentioned that I’m thankful for bacon?! And taupe?! And perfume?!
I am thankful that I have spent my entire life in the most dynamic, oxymoronic, and alive city in the whole world. New York is at the very center of my being. I am my shadow city, I am Manhattan, I am the Bronx. I am the nightlife at 3am, the sunrise over skyscrapers, and the intensity that reverberates through the sidewalks.


(Me, at Columbus Circle at 1:00am on a Sunday AM after too many G&Ts)
I am thankful for Target, for allowing me to find storage for my perfumes and this lovely binder for my Indie eyeshadow samples:


(Binder! How pretty, no?)

(Lookie, Linnaeus Cosmetics samples!)

(More samples! The ones on the R are Pollen Cosmetics)
I am thankful for Apple, because my MacBook Pro keeps me sane!
I am thankful for Marvel, candles, patchouli, a good leather accord, carnations, derp-derp animals, Albert Camus, Michel Foucault, and blank notebooks. 
I am thankful for music. Well, good music. Special thanks go out to The Weeknd, Fink, OFWGKTA, and the entire Quiet Storm genre for providing the soundtrack to this past year. Oh, and jazz. Must include jazz! 
I’m not thankful that the past two predicted Raptures were a bust. Hello, I need Zombie Biggie to come back and reclaim the rap scene!
I am thankful that I get to meet Olfactoria this weekend! I am thankful that I’m off from work this weekend; I had a lot of errands to run and I am happy to have the time to do so.
I am thankful for all of the little things, the big things, the every things, and the some things. 
I love you, everyone. Have a lovely, taupey, and fragrant Friday!

11 love notes:

PerilouslyPale said...

You forgot your boobs! Love you Joey! xo

MarciaF said...

I'm thankful that I finally "know" you instead of just knowing "about" you.

anotherperfumeblog.com said...

Happy thanksgiving! Great list of things to be thankful for. (And why not add boobs, as Perilously Pale suggests? ;) )

Nicholas said...

2nd the boobs and it is easy to forget the good things in life (and there are so many) when things get tough. Remember to keep going, it's just my butt.

xoxo
Nickypoo

Joey said...

Christa, I'm sorry! I thought the boobs would be kind of obvious =P

Joey said...

Marcia, I am grateful I know you too! xoxo

Joey said...

Nat, Happy Thanksgiving to you too! =) I am grateful to know you <3333

Joey said...

Nickypoo, I am so insanely grateful for you! But you already knew that. I love you, go have shrimp with the boys! xoxo

Undina said...

I like your spirit! (and your hair, and ... :) ) Keep going - everything will be better.

Joey said...

Thank you so much, Undina! I'll keep trekking along =)

Joan said...

You are lucky to have gone to NYU! I spent a summer taking classes there, and it was phenomenal!

I spent Thanksgiving on the MegaBus to Chicago. Be thankful you didn't do that!